Mycology, Plant-fungal interaction, Plant & Soil Microbiome, Fungal Systematics, Microbial Ecology
As a mycologist by training, I’m interested in everything related to fungi! My central interest however, lies in plant-associated fungi (e.g. mycorrhiza, endophytes). Fungi are literally everywhere in nature, and play critical roles in maintaining the health of plants and the surrounding environments. My research concerns three areas of plant-associated fungi: 1) community ecology, 2) evolutionary history, and 3) the interactions between fungi and their plant hosts. I use an array of methods ranging from field observation, microscopic examination, and metaomics, to understand the diversity and functionality of fungi associated with different plants in the forest and farm land. If you are interested in joining the lab, feel free to send me an email to discuss potential projects and funding possibilities.
- Chen Ko-Hsuan, Marcón Florencia, Duringer Jennifer, Blount Ann, Mackowiak Cheryl, Liao Hui-Ling, 2022, “Leaf Mycobiome and Mycotoxin Profile of Warm-Season Grasses Structured by Plant Species, Geography, and Apparent Black-Stroma Fungal Structure”, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 88(21), e00942-22. (SCIE) (IF: 4.792; SCI ranking: 23.8%,31.4%)
- Chen Ko-Hsuan, Nelson Jessica, 2022, “A scoping review of bryophyte microbiota: diverse microbial communities in small plant packages”, Journal of Experimental Botany, 73(13), 4496-4513. (SCIE) (IF: 6.992; SCI ranking: 5.5%)
- Chen Ko‐Hsuan, Liao Hui‐Ling, Arnold A. Elizabeth, Korotkin Hailee B., Wu Steven H., Matheny P. Brandon, Lutzoni François, 2022, “Comparative transcriptomics of fungal endophytes in co‐culture with their moss host <i>Dicranum scoparium</i> reveals fungal trophic lability and moss unchanged to slightly increased growth rates”, New Phytologist, 234(5), 1832-1847. (SCIE) (IF: 10.152; SCI ranking: 3%)
- Chen Ko‐Hsuan, Xie Qiao‐Yi, Chang Chiung‐Chih, Kuo Li‐Yaung, 2022, “Mycobiome detection from a single subterranean gametophyte using metabarcoding techniques”, Applications in Plant Sciences, 10(2). (SCIE) (IF: 1.936; SCI ranking: 49.8%)
- De Vivo Mattia*, Wang Wen-Hong, Chen Ko-Hsuan*, Huang Jen-Pan, 2021, “First detection of Colletotrichum fructicola (Ascomycota) on horsehair worms (Nematomorpha)”, Biodiversity Data Journal, 9, e72798. (SCIE) (IF: 1.225; SCI ranking: 73.3%)
- Liao Hui-Ling*, Bonito Gregory, Hameed Khalid, Wu Steven H., Chen Ko-Hsuan, Labbé Jesse, Schadt Christopher W., Tuskan Gerald A., Martin Francis, Kuo Alan, Barry Kerrie, Grigoriev Igor V., Vilgalys Rytas, 2021, “Heterospecific Neighbor Plants Impact Root Microbiome Diversity and Molecular Function of Root Fungi”, Frontiers in Microbiology, 12, 3555. (SCIE) (IF: 5.64; SCI ranking: 20.4%)
- Chen Ko-Hsuan*, Longley Reid, Bonito Gregory, Liao Hui-Ling, 2021, “A Two-Step PCR Protocol Enabling Flexible Primer Choice and High Sequencing Yield for Illumina MiSeq Meta-Barcoding”, AGRONOMY-BASEL, 11(7), 1274. (SCIE) (IF: 3.417; SCI ranking: 17.6%,24.3%)
- Hoeksema Jason D.*, Averill Colin, Bhatnagar Jennifer M., Brzostek Edward, Buscardo Erika, Chen Ko-Hsuan, Liao Hui-Ling, Nagy Laszlo, Policelli Nahuel, Ridgeway Joanna, Rojas J. Alejandro, Vilgalys Rytas, 2020, “Ectomycorrhizal Plant-Fungal Co-invasions as Natural Experiments for Connecting Plant and Fungal Traits to Their Ecosystem Consequences”, Frontiers in Forests and Global Change, 3, 84.
- Chen Ko‐Hsuan*, Liao Hui‐Ling, Bellenger Jean‐Philippe, Lutzoni François, 2019, “Differential gene expression associated with fungal trophic shifts along the senescence gradient of the moss Dicranum scoparium”, Environmental Microbiology, 21(7), 2273-2289. (SCIE) (IF: 5.491; SCI ranking: 21.9%)
- Beule Lukas, Chen Ko-Hsuan, Hsu Chih-Ming, Mackowiak Cheryl, Dubeux Jr. Jose C.B., Blount Ann, Liao Hui-Ling*, 2019, “Soil bacterial and fungal communities of six bahiagrass cultivars”, PeerJ, 7 e7014. (SCIE) (IF: 2.984; SCI ranking: 37%)
- Bonito Gregory*, Benucci Gian Maria Niccolò, Hameed Khalid, Weighill Deborah, Jones Piet, Chen Ko-Hsuan, Jacobson Daniel, Schadt Christopher, Vilgalys Rytas, 2019, “Fungal-Bacterial Networks in the Populus Rhizobiome Are Impacted by Soil Properties and Host Genotype”, Frontiers in Microbiology, 10. (SCIE) (IF: 5.64; SCI ranking: 20.4%)
- Chen Ko-Hsuan, Blount Ann, Justesen Brittany, Walter Joseph H., Wallau Marcelo, Liao Hui-Ling*, 2019, “First Report of the Association of Myriogenospora atramentosa with the Plant Genus Hemarthria”, Plant Health Progress, 20(4), 244-246.
- Chen Ko-Hsuan*, Liao Hui-Ling, Arnold A. Elizabeth, Bonito Gregory, Lutzoni François, 2018, “RNA-based analyses reveal fungal communities structured by a senescence gradient in the moss Dicranum scoparium and the presence of putative multi-trophic fungi”, New Phytologist, 218(4) 1597-1611. (SCIE) (IF: 10.152; SCI ranking: 3%)
- Korotkin Hailee B., Swenie Rachel A., Miettinen Otto, Budke Jessica M., Chen Ko-Hsuan, Lutzoni François, Smith Matthew E., Matheny P. Brandon*, 2018, “Stable isotope analyses reveal previously unknown trophic mode diversity in the Hymenochaetales”, American Journal of Botany, 105(11), 1869-1887. (SCIE) (IF: 3.844; SCI ranking: 21.3%)