I am an associate research fellow at the Biodiversity Research Center, Academia Sinica (BRCAS) in Taipei, Taiwan. I was a postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Ecology and Evolution, University of Lausanne in Switzerland. I obtained my PhD from Stanford University in the USA in 2002.
I am an evolutionary biologist interested in social insect evolution, behavior, and sex determination and nematode sex ratio bias.
- De Vivo M, Lee H-H, Huang Y-S, Dreyer N, Fong C-L, de Mattos FMG, Jain D, Wen YV, Mwihaki JK, Wang T-Y, Machida RJ, Wang J, Chan BKK, Tsai IJ*, 2022, “Utilisation of Oxford Nanopore sequencing to generate six complete gastropod mitochondrial genomes as part of a biodiversity curriculum”, SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, 12(1), 9973. (SCIE) (IF: 4.38; SCI ranking: 23.3%)
- Yang F-J#, Chen C-N#, Chang T#, Cheng T-W, Chang N-C, Kao C-Y, Lee C-C, Huang Y-C, Chan S-P*, Wang J*, 2022, “phiC31 integrase for recombination mediated single copy insertion and genome manipulation in C. elegans”, GENETICS, 220(2), 1. (SCIE) (IF: 4.562; SCI ranking: 29%)
- Le TS*, Nguyen THG, Ha BH, Huong BTM, Nguyen TTH, Vu KD, Ho CT, Wang J*, 2022, “Reproductive Span of Caenorhabditis Elegans is Extended by Microbacterium Sp.”, JOURNAL OF NEMATOLOGY, 54(1), 20220010. (SCIE) (IF: 1.402; SCI ranking: 52.6%)
- Dreyer N*, de Mattos FMG*, Jain D*, Fong C-L, De Vivo M, Wen YV, Huang Y-S, Mwihaki JK, Lee H-H, Tsai P-C, Tsao Y-F, Chan BKK, Tsai IJ, Machida RJ, Wang T-Y, Wang J, accepted, “The mitochondrial genome of Isognomon nucleus and mitogenomics of Pteriomorphia (Mollusca: Bivalvia: Autobranchia)”, JOURNAL OF MOLLUSCAN STUDIES.
- Chen M-E, Tsai M-H, Huang H-T, Tsai C-C, Chen M-J, Yang D-S, Wang J*, Huang R-N*, 2021, “Transcriptome profiling reveals the developmental regulation of NaCl-2 treated Forcipomiya taiwana eggs”, BMC GENOMICS, 22(1), 792. (SCIE) (IF: 3.969; SCI ranking: 36.3%,40.3%)
- Le TS*, Nguyen TTH, Huong BTM, Nguyen HG, Ha BH, Nguyen VS, Nguyen MH, Nguyen H-H, Wang J*, 2021, “Cultivation of Caenorhabditis elegans on new cheap monoxenic media without peptone”, JOURNAL OF NEMATOLOGY, 53, e2021-36. (SCIE) (IF: 1.402; SCI ranking: 52.6%)
- Nipitwattanaphon N, Swatdipong A, Hasin S, Wang J*, 2020, “Population Genetic and Social Structure Survey of Solenopsis geminata in Thailand”, ZOOLOGICAL STUDIES, 59, 22. (SCIE) (IF: 2.058; SCI ranking: 30.3%)
- Chiu Y-K, Hsu J-C, Chang T, Huang Y-C, Wang J*, 2020, “Mutagenesis Mediated by CRISPR/Cas9 in the Red Imported Fire Ant, Solenopsis invicta”, INSECTES SOCIAUX, 67(2), 317-326. (SCIE) (IF: 1.643; SCI ranking: 49%)
- Fontana S, Chang NC, Chang T, Lee CC, Dang VD, Wang J*, 2020, “The fire ant social supergene is characterized by extensive gene and transposable element copy number variation”, MOLECULAR ECOLOGY, 29, 105-120. (SCIE) (IF: 6.185; SCI ranking: 20.9%,9.6%,14%)
- Lee D, Zdraljevic S, Cook DE, Frézal L, Hsu JC, Sterken MG, Riksen JAG, Wang J, Kammenga JE, Braendle C, Félix MA, Schroeder FC, Andersen EC*, 2019, “Selection and gene flow shape niche-associated variation in pheromone response”, NATURE ECOLOGY & EVOLUTION, 3(10), 1455-1463. (SCIE) (IF: 15.46; SCI ranking: 1.2%,8%)
- Dang VD, Cohanim AB, Fontana S, Privman E, Wang J*, 2019, “Has gene expression neofunctionalization in the fire ant antennae contributed to queen discrimination behavior?”, GENOME BIOLOGY AND EVOLUTION, 9, 12754-12766. (SCIE) (IF: 3.416; SCI ranking: 40%,47.2%)
- Lee Chih-Chi, Wang John*, 2018, “Rapid Expansion of a Highly Germline-Expressed Mariner Element Acquired by Horizontal Transfer in the Fire Ant Genome”, Genome Biology and Evolution, 10(12), 3262-3278. (SCIE) (IF: 3.416; SCI ranking: 40%,47.2%)
- Jia Ling-Yi, Chen Li, Keller Laurent, Wang John, Xiao Jin-Hua*, Huang Da-Wei*, 2018, “Doublesex Evolution Is Correlated with Social Complexity in Ants”, Genome Biology and Evolution, 10(12), 3230-3242. (SCIE) (IF: 3.416; SCI ranking: 40%,47.2%)
- Qiu Bitao, Larsen Rasmus Stenbak, Chang Ni-Chen, Wang John, Boomsma Jacobus J., Zhang Guojie*, 2018, “Towards reconstructing the ancestral brain gene-network regulating caste differentiation in ants”, Nature Ecology & Evolution, 2(11) 1782-1791. (SCIE) (IF: 15.46; SCI ranking: 1.2%,8%)
- Félix Marie-Anne*, Ailion Michael, Hsu Jung-Chen, Richaud Aurélien, Wang John, 2018, “Pristionchus nematodes occur frequently in diverse rotting vegetal substrates and are not exclusively necromenic, while Panagrellus redivivoides is found specifically in rotting fruits”, PLOS ONE, 13(8), e0200851. (SCIE) (IF: 3.24; SCI ranking: 35.6%)
- Kanzaki Natsumi, Tsai Isheng J., Tanaka Ryusei, Hunt Vicky L., Liu Dang, Tsuyama Kenji, Maeda Yasunobu, Namai Satoshi, Kumagai Ryohei, Tracey Alan, Holroyd Nancy, Doyle Stephen R., Woodruff Gavin C., Murase Kazunori, Kitazume Hiromi, Chai Cynthia, Akagi Allison, Panda Oishika, Ke Huei-Mien, Schroeder Frank C., Wang John, Berriman Matthew, Sternberg Paul W., Sugimoto Asako*, Kikuchi Taisei*, 2018, “Biology and genome of a newly discovered sibling species of Caenorhabditis elegans”, Nature Communications, 9, 3216. (SCIE) (IF: 14.919; SCI ranking: 5.5%)
- Warren Wesley C.*, García-Pérez Raquel, Xu Sen, Lampert Kathrin P., Chalopin Domitille, Stöck Matthias, Loewe Laurence, Lu Yuan, Kuderna Lukas, Minx Patrick, Montague Michael J., Tomlinson Chad, Hillier LaDeana W., Murphy Daniel N., Wang John, Wang Zhongwei, Garcia Constantino Macias, Thomas Gregg C. W., Volff Jean-Nicolas, Farias Fabiana, Aken Bronwen, Walter Ronald B., Pruitt Kim D., Marques-Bonet Tomas, Hahn Matthew W., Kneitz Susanne, Lynch Michael, Schartl Manfred*, 2018, “Clonal polymorphism and high heterozygosity in the celibate genome of the Amazon molly”, Nature Ecology & Evolution, 2(4) 669-679. (SCIE) (IF: 15.46; SCI ranking: 1.2%,8%)
- Huang Yu-Ching, Dang Viet Dai, Chang Ni-Chen, Wang John*, 2018, “Multiple large inversions and breakpoint rewiring of gene expression in the evolution of the fire ant social supergene”, Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences, 285(1878), 20180221. (SCIE) (IF: 5.349; SCI ranking: 14%,15.7%,18%)
- Lee Chih-Chi, Wang John, Matsuura Kenji, Yang Chin-Cheng Scotty*, 2018, “The complete mitochondrial genome of yellow crazy ant, Anoplolepis gracilipes (Hymenoptera: Formicidae)”, MITOCHONDRIAL DNA PART B-RESOURCES, 3(2), 622-623. (SCIE) (IF: 0.658; SCI ranking: 96.6%)